The Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences acknowledges Australia’s First Nations Peoples as the Traditional Owners and Custodians of the land and gives respect to the Elders – past and present – and through them to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are advised that the MAAS website contains a range of Indigenous Cultural Material. This includes artworks, artifacts, images and recordings of people who may have passed away, and other objects which may be culturally sensitive.
90/816 Helicopter, full-size, Bell 206B Jetranger III VH-DIK, Serial No. 3653, 'Dick Smith Australian Explorer', survival equipment and super8 film footage, various materials, made by Bell Helicopters Textron, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America, June 1982, flown around the world by Dick Smi. Click to enlarge.

Bell 206B Jetranger III helicopter VH-DIK flown around the world by Dick Smith

Made by Bell Helicopter in Texas, United States of America, 1982.
The Bell Jetranger III helicopter, Dick Smith Australian Explorer, was flown by Australian businessman and adventurer Dick Smith on the first solo circumnavigation of the world in a rotary wing aircraft in 1982/3. The flight was also the first solo helicopter flight across the Atlantic Ocean and the first solo flight from the U.S.A. to Australia by helicopter. The flight was taken over three stages from Fort Worth, Texas to London, London to Sydney and Sydney back to Fort Worth.

A total of over 55,000 km was travelled in 260 hours of flying. It follows in the tradition of the great aviation pioneers including Bert Hinkler, Charles Kingsford Smith, James Mollison, Wiley Post and others who pushed aviation technology beyond its design limitations. The flight was physically and mentally exhausting as Dick had to fly, navigate, talk on the radio and watch his instruments as well as film and provide a narration of the view from the helicopter. He recorded his journey on still and movie film which were later made into a documentary 'Flying Round Alone' and a large format book, 'Solo Around the World'.

During the epic flight, he was shot at over Alaska and refuelled on the rolling deck of a cargo ship between Japan and the Aleutian Islands. Fog forced a landing on pack ice and Dick pitched his tent and listened to the sounds of the ice breaking up beneath him until the lifting fog allowed a welcome departure. In 1990 Dick Smith flew his helicopter from his home in Terrey Hills on its last flight to land in the car park of the Powerhouse Museum. Dick then presented the helicopter to the Museum and it was subsequently suspended in the Wran Building until 2012.

Margaret Simpson, Curator

Further Information
The last great Aviation Adventure: Dick Smith's solo around-the-world Helicopter Flight, 1982
Smith, Dick, Solo Around the World, Australian Geographic Pty Ltd, Terrey Hills, N.S.W., 1992.
Flying round alone, written by Anthony Rouse, filmed and directed by Dick Smith, 1986. Series title: The World Around Us. (VHS) 49 min.
Solo to the North Pole filmed by Dick & Pip Smith, Australian Geographic, 1990. (VHF) 48 min.


Object No.


Object Statement

Helicopter, full-size, Bell 206B Jetranger III VH-DIK, Serial No. 3653, 'Dick Smith Australian Explorer', survival equipment and super8 film footage, various materials, made by Bell Helicopters Textron, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America, June 1982, flown around the world by Dick Smith, United States of America / Australia, 1982-1983

Physical Description

Helicopter, full-size, Bell 206B Jetranger III VH-DIK, Serial No. 3653, 'Dick Smith Australian Explorer', survival equipment and super8 film footage, made by Bell Helicopters Textron, Fort Worth, Texas, USA, June 1982, flown around the world by Dick Smith, United States of America / Australia, 1982-1983

'Dick Smith Australian Explorer' is a Bell 206B Jetranger III helicopter which comprises an aluminium honeycomb sandwich and aluminium construction. It is powered by an Allison gas turbine and can carry five adults. It is painted white with blue and red striping and features a blue kangaroo on the side. This is the livery featured on Dick Smith's later North Pole flights. The helicopter was fitted out for the flight with the latest equipment including the VLF Omega navigation system to allow precise navigation to any point on earth.

In order to allow filming during the solo flight, the helicopter was especially modified. A sophisticated Collins auto pilot was fitted together with special camera mounts and four camera windows were installed. The filming was done on a small super 8 Chinon camera mounted beside Dick on a simple tripod-head fixed to the helicopter. The sound from his intercom went onto the soundtrack on the film. The camera, as well as a tape recorder mounted on a map cabinet, could be operated manually or from switches on the control column.

An extra long-range fuel tank extended the range from the normal 400 nautical miles to over 700 with reserves. Other special installations included a map cabinet, life raft with survival gear including an emergency locator beacon (EPIRB), 'bear paws' and a heater, added for the flight to the North Pole. Other safety equipment was a special Arctic survival suit, which Dick wore during the North Atlantic crossing and North Pacific sectors. Despite its use in the record-breaking flights, the helicopter was subsequently maintained in pristine condition.


Manufacturer: Bell Helicopter Textron, Fort Worth, Texas, U.S.A.
Model: 206B Jetranger III
Serial No: 3653
Registration: VH-DIK
Date built: June 1982
Engine: Allison free-turbine 250-C20J
Engine power: 313 kW (420 shp)
Service ceiling: 6 096 m (20 000 ft)
Maximum speed: 250 km/h (155 mph)
Gross weight: 1 452 kg (3 201 lb)
Accommodation: pilot plus 4 adults
Navigation, radio and radar equipment:
Collins Radio 7 Navigation Equipment
Collins Auto Pilot
Collins LRN 70 VLF/Omega
King Radar Altimeter
FM Marine VHF

Survival equipment includes life vest, cap, life radt, reflective canopy, bivvy bag, sleeping bag, love note, camera, CB radio, compass, headset, radio, Video cameras, fire extinguisher, cassette recorder, navigation computer, plotter, ski bear paw, battery.

Film footage includes twenty-four rolls of super8 film footage with cases.



2910 mm


1920 mm


700 kg



The Bell 206 series of light helicopters has been one of the most successful made with over 6500 being built in various models.

The prototype of the Jetranger was flown for the first time on 10 January 1966. It was a commercial derivative of an unsuccessful entry by Bell into the US Army light-observation helicopter contest. Powered by the Allison 250-C18 turboshaft engine of 317 shp, deliveries of the first production Jetranger, the 206A, began at the end of 1966.

In 1971 the 206B Jetranger II was released with the uprated 400-shp Allison 250-C20 turboshaft engine with minor improvements. In 1971 the Australian Government ordered 196 Bell 206B-1 helicopters to be built under licence by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation. In the event only 56 were built and all were for the army and navy.

In 1977 the 206B Jetranger III replaced the Jetranger II on the production line. The new model was fitted with the uprated Allison 250-C20B engine, an enlarged and improved tail rotor mast and some other minor changes.

"Dick Smith Australian Explorer" is a Bell 206B Jetranger III helicopter, serial No.3653, built in June 1982 by Bell Helicopter Textro at Forth Worth, Texas, U.S.A.



Smith, Dick 1982


Dick Smith was the organiser, pilot, navigator and film-maker of the solo around the world helicopter flight. Dick Smith was born in Sydney in 1944 and is a well-known pilot, adventurer, explorer and philanthropist. As a young man he established a chain of electronic stores which he sold in 1980 in order to devote more time to his other interests, exploration and flying. He began flying fixed wing aircraft in 1972 and competed in various air races. He gained his helicopter licence in 1978 and made the first helicopter flight from Sydney to Lord Howe Island and return, over 640 nautical miles over the Pacific Ocean. This was an Australian record for a single-engine helicopter. Prior to the around-the-world flight he used a helicopter continually as a work vehicle and took his family 'helicamping' around Australia. He contended that the helicopter was superior for filming his documentaries as it provided a more unique perspective and was more flexible than fixed wing aircraft. Because of the requirement of good weather for the film and photographic activities, the flight did not attempt to break any existing speed records.

Dick Smith departed on the first leg of his solo around the world helicopter flight attempt from Bell's helicopter plant at Fort Worth, Texas, on Thursday, 5 August 1982. Jim Heagney was his ground co-ordinator for this part of the flight and he arranged flight details and paperwork. Dick flew from America to Canada then on to Greenland and Iceland, battling, rain, fog, sleet, severe turbulence and extreme fatigue. By 18 August he had made the first solo helicopter flight over the North Atlantic. The following day he landed on the golf course at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, fifty years to the day since James Mollison had made the first solo east-west crossing of the Atlantic in a fixed wing aircraft. Dick was met by his family who had flown from Sydney, and Prince Charles. During this leg of the flight the helicopter had been mysteriously shot at, narrowly missing Dick but hitting a reserve fuel tank. Dick then flew on to London, mentally and physically exhausted and close to abandoning the adventure. So ended the first leg of the flight in which he had flown the helicopter from Fort Worth to London for 11,752 km in 60 hours 52 minutes spread over 11 days averaging 104 knots (192 km/hr). During the three-week stay in London the helicopter was serviced and put on display at the Farnborough air show.

The second leg of the trip began on Monday 13 September 1982. On that day Dick flew from London to Rome via Lyon. This time Gerry Nolan took on the job of forward man. The great Australian aviator Bert Hinkler had flown solo from London to Darwin in 1928 in 15 days. Dick was determined to match Hinkler's flight time and took on board a copy of that day's London "Times" to deliver to Alexandria Station in the Northern Territory, just as Hinkler had done. Over the following days Dick flew on to Athens, Crete, Cairo, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Whereas Dick had to contend with freezing cold during the first leg of the trip, the second leg was over desert with heat and dust.

Part of the flight took him over the island of Aye off the Burmese coast where Sir Charles Kingsford Smith is believed to have crashed in the "Lady Southern Cross" in 1935. Following this, Dick survived a terrifying tropical storm by putting down on a beach next to the jungle on the Malay coast. A 24-hour stop in Singapore enabled him to catch up with his wife, Pip, and have the helicopter serviced again. The flight continued through Jakarta and Bali then he landed at Darwin on 28 September with an enthusiastic welcome back to Australia. Dick had equalled Hinkler's time of 15 days from London and even landed on exactly the same spot. "The Times" was delivered to Alexandria station and Dick had an enjoyable flight across Australia to Longreach where he emulated Hinkler's fight by flying on to Hinkler's hometown of Bundaberg in Queensland and was given a Civic reception with his family. The next day, Sunday 3 October, Dick flew south down the coast 1100 km to Sydney stopping on the Gold Coast to visit the early pioneer aviators, Harold Litchfield, navigator on Kingsford Smith's flights and Lores Bonney who had flown solo from Australia to England in 1933. In the afternoon Dick flew into Sydney, was given special permission to fly under the Harbour Bridge and landed at the Darling Harbour heliport. This ended the second leg of his journey in which he had covered a total of over 30,000 km.

The third leg of the flight began on 25 May 1983 after the northern winter was over. Dick slid the helicopter out from under the bedroom of his home at Terrey Hills (Sydney) and set off up the Australian coast to the tip of Cape York. He flew on to Irian Jaya all the way speaking to ham radio operators in Australia and giving them his position as he had not been able to raise anyone in Indonesia. He flew on to Manila, Hong Kong and then through torrential monsoon rain to Japan. Due to being refused by the USSR to refuel on the Kuril Islands, Dick had to organise to land on a the deck of a bulk carrier mid-ocean. After a world-wide search, it was discovered that the Norwegian vessel, "Hoegh Marlin", was the correct size and would be in the right spot at the right time. Communications between ship and helicopter was through an amateur radio operator, Don Richards who joined the ship in Japan. To cover the 2600 km distance in a day, Dick had to leave Japan, refuel on the carrier then continue to a US radar base on the Aleutian Islands. From there Dick flew on to Alaska and met his family again at Anchorage on 29 June then on to Canada flying down into Texas. Dick visited the 86-year-old widow of Wiley Post who was the first person to fly solo around-the-world in a fixed wing aircraft in 1933. The next day, Friday, 22 July 1983 marked the fiftieth anniversary of Post's successful flight and it was also the day Dick arrived back at Forth Worth, Texas, after his successful flight to be the first to fly solo around the world in a helicopter.

For three years after his return from his around-the-world trip, Dick made numerous camping trips and flights across Australia in the helicopter. In 1987 he made a successful solo flight in the helicopter to the North Pole, landing on 28 April 1987, finally succeeding on his third attempt over 12 months.

In 1990, after over 1500 hours and 280,000 km Dick Smith took his helicopter on its last flight from his home in Terrey Hills to the car park next to the Powerhouse Museum. Dick then presented the helicopter to the museum and it was subsequently displayed in the Wran Building of the museum close to the No.1 Locomotive, where it can still be seen today.

Dick Smith continued his record-making flights in 1988-89 when he flew around the world via the poles by plane. This was followed by an east to west flight around the world by helicopter in 1994 with his wife, Pip. In 1993 he travelled by balloon across Australia and in 2000 crossed the Tasman from New Zealand to Australia, both trips with balloonist, John Wallington.

In 1985 Dick Smith published the first issue of "Australian Geographic" and founded the Australian Geographic Society. In 1987 he was awarded the 'Australian of the Year'.


Credit Line

Gift of Dick Smith, 1990

Acquisition Date

27 August 1990

Cite this Object


Bell 206B Jetranger III helicopter VH-DIK flown around the world by Dick Smith 2020, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 5 July 2020, <>


{{cite web |url= |title=Bell 206B Jetranger III helicopter VH-DIK flown around the world by Dick Smith |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=5 July 2020 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}

Know more about this object?


Have a question about this object?