The Powerhouse acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the ancestral homelands upon which our museums are situated. We respect their Elders, past, present and future and recognise their continuous connection to Country.
90/138D Petrol engine, stationary vertical four-stroke, Lister Type B, cast iron / steel, Messrs R A Lister and Co Ltd, Dursley, Gloucestershire, England, 1945-1950. Click to enlarge.

Lister Type B stationary petrol engine

Made
This engine was made by R A Lister, an English company that was a major supplier of both petrol and diesel engines and shearing machines to Australia. Lister sold many small petrol engines like this one to power its shearing machines and other machinery on farms that had not yet been connected to the electricity grid.

Petrol engines supplanted steam engines for many applications as they are cleaner and more convenient to use. They require fuel but do not need a boiler, and they start quickly …

Summary

Object No.

90/138D

Object Statement

Petrol engine, stationary vertical four-stroke, Lister Type B, cast iron / steel, Messrs R A Lister and Co Ltd, Dursley, Gloucestershire, England, 1945-1950

Physical Description

Petrol engine, stationary vertical four-stroke, Lister Type B, cast iron / steel, Messrs R A Lister and Co Ltd, Dursley, Gloucestershire, England, 1945-1950

Dimensions

Height

1030 mm

Width

730 mm

Depth

1040 mm

Production

Notes

The engine was manufactured by R A Lister Co Ltd around 1945.

Robert Ashton Lister established the R.A. Lister company on 23 August 1867 to manufacture agricultural machinery and implements at Dursley in Gloucestershire.

Lister grew and began selling its products overseas. In Australia, it captured a large slice of the market for sheep shearing equipment. When it acquired F.C.Southwell & Co, it began making petrol engines at Dursley. The Southwell engine design was sourced from Stover in Illinois, USA, but Lister introduced a series of improvements to it over time. The company eventually produced the largest range of petrol and diesel engines in Europe, together with an associated range of generating sets, pumps, sheep shearing sets and other equipment.

Robert Ashton Lister died at the end of 1929. In 1986 Lister merged with J.B. Petter & Sons to form Lister & Petter Ltd. The company still operated, from the same site in Dursley, into the twenty-first century.

History

Notes

The engine was used at a property near Mendooran in NSW to power a three-stand shearing set, which was donated to the Museum along with the engine.

Source

Credit Line

Gift of Mr and Mrs John Easton, 1990

Acquisition Date

27 February 1990

Cite this Object

Harvard

Lister Type B stationary petrol engine 2021, Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, accessed 29 July 2021, <https://ma.as/103282>

Wikipedia

{{cite web |url=https://ma.as/103282 |title=Lister Type B stationary petrol engine |author=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences |access-date=29 July 2021 |publisher=Museum of Applied Arts & Sciences, Australia}}